Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tropical Color

I've never really been one for "island style" in pattern or design. We all have fond memories of basement Tiki Bars and the subsequent revival of island kitsch. But I have lately become aware that my prejudices dictate what I draw or create and if I really think about it, it might be why I stopped drawing altogether. Somehow I have to learn to allow inspiration to take hold (which it does when I travel) , and not be disdainful and dismissive of the possibility that it might take me to a place creatively where I don't care much for the subject matter.

Enter color! Color can be inspired by something, leaving the subject matter to become something else entirely. I don't have to draw big tropical prints with giant palm leaves, and plumeria or orchids in order to capture my inspiration. I can use the inspired color in a completely different setting or in unrelated subject matter and still enjoy my memories without the pressure of creating scenery that isn't really my taste as a painting on the wall.

Won't this be fun?

I love this stage in a drawing. I've blocked out my design and it's like a coloring book now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say HELLO!

New t-shirt design

Blog Widget by LinkWithin